Monday, March 28, 2011

The power of prayer and the importance of sharing

Last week one of our regular high school patrons came in. Something was different today, you could tell that there was something wrong. You could just tell she was going through something and because she has become a face that we see very often, I knew that it was important to get her to share what was going on. I simply asked her how she was doing and she responded, "I wasn't in school today". I quickly tried to remember the date, was today a holiday of some sort? Nope, so I ask her what was wrong. She very easily proceeded to tell me that she had spent the whole day in the hospital (she just recently was in the hospital for sports related injuries but she said they had fixed everything). I could tell that this visit was very different and that she must have gotten some bad news. What it was is that the doctors had found a hole in her heart. She tried very hard to accept that she would be okay, but her life would be very different. No more sports. The possibility of internal bleeding very high. As I listened in shock of this news I told her that I would be praying for her and that I would make sure I would let everyone I knew that this was something that they could pray for. Thankful, she told me that she already had a bunch of people praying for her and so I left with some encouraging words and told her to let me know if she needed anything. Not two hours later she calls me over, her expressions and emotions completely changed with the news from her mom that the doctor had read the scans wrong and that it was only a bruise on her heart. Wow! I thought, what a huge mistake on the doctors part (kinda of upset)... realizing that a bruise was still something serious, but nothing quite like a hole... I joined her in her joy getting goosebumps and not being able to stop smiling. Prayer is powerful, and what quick results! Although that may not be the case for every prayer that is said it is important to always see God through it!
Soon after this exciting news my volunteers for that evening joined in for prayer behind the counter and two other volunteers that were out on the other side of the counter quickly joined. Most of my volunteers were high schoolers and as we prayed we thanked God for what had just happened with this specific patron; as we all shared in the power of prayer that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment